I had some family over the other day and wanted to make some shortbread we could all enjoy together. I decided to test out this dairy free shortbread recipe I found on a blog called madebyluci https://madebyluci.co.uk/simple-vegan-shortbread/
Here’s a copy of the recipe:
- 100g caster sugar
- 80g vegetable fat (eg: Trex)
- 80g vegetable spread (eg: Vitalite)
- 205g plain flour
- 55g corn flour
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 160°C. Line a couple of cookie sheets or baking trays with greaseproof paper and set aside.
- Cream together the vegetable fat, spread and caster sugar in a medium sized bowl.
- Sift in the flours and add the pinch of salt. Mix together with a spoon or your hand until it forms a dough.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, or if the bowl is big enough leave it in there, and knead it for 2-3 minutes.
- Place the dough between two sheets of greaseproof paper and roll it out to about 1cm thick – I don’t recommend going less 0.5cm thick.
- Using a cookie cutter, cut as many biscuits out as you can before re-rolling the dough and repeating, until all the dough is used up.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 20 minutes, until lightly golden brown.
- Once done, remove to a wire rack to cool completely
I made the shortbread festive with my recently purchased christmas tree and snowflake cookie cutters. The christmas tree shaped shortbread are plain whilst the snowflake shortbread contain glace cherries. I made a double batch, using my cutters I made 42 biscuits and baked for 15-20 minutes. Hopefully your agree they look yummy!
They went down a treat and I’m enjoying the extra ones I made to nibble on during the week 🙂
I’m happy I tried this recipe, I hope your also give the recipe a go too.